SeaSmart WiFi Connect & IP Configure [Ad Hoc]
A SeaSmart device configured in Ad Hoc mode is a peer-to-peer connection set up to communicate directly with another device (such as a Tablet, Laptop, Smartphone) without respect to other network activity in the area.
When you receive your SeaSmart device, the device is initially set to Ad Hoc mode, however, DHCP is enabled in order to randomly generate an IP address. You will need a third party application in order to scan your SeaSmart's WiFi connection and discover the unit's IP address in order to manually configuring a static IP address for future use (you should only have to do this once, unless you reset the device settings).
1) While you are still connected to the Internet, visit our Support Downloads page from the following link and download the SeaSmart Scan Utility file, then unzip/extract the application file:
2) Run the Lantronix Scan Utility setup by opening the folder you unzipped above and double click to run the Setup Application file. It will take you through a standard PC software install:
NOTE: If Windows asks for permission for this application to make changes to your computer, select YES.
NOTE: If the Device Installer asks to tick the option to also install the Microsoft.NET framework, select YES and CONTINUE/NEXT.
NOTE: If the Device Installer asks which device to use to connect, select the name of your WiFi Network Card.
NOTE: If the Device Installer asks if you would like to view the TCP/IP tutorials, select NO.
3 ) Ensure your SeaSmart device is plugged in and powered (12V DC for the WiFi unit).
4) Once the Lantronix Scan Utility is installed and your SeaSmart device is powed, navigate to your wireless network settings (in the lower right of the taskbar where you would commonly scan and connect to a WiFi internet connection). Find the SEASMART AD HOC network and connect to it (NOTE: The network may also be called LANTRONIX INITIAL AD HOC depending on when you received your device). If you are currently on WiFi only, you may be disconnected from the Internet in order to do this:
5) Navigate back to the Lantronix Scan Utility and select search to scan and discover your SeaSmart device (in some instances you will have to give the Device Installer a few moments and try the search again). When you see the "MatchPort" folder appear, expand the folder and also expand the sub-item "MatchPort b/g Pro." You will then see the randomly generated IP address of your SeaSmart device (in this example it is 169.254.113.20). Select the IP address listed and give the system a moment to load the device details. When prompted, the default login is:
6) Select the Web Configuration Tab. When you see the SeaSmart logo and the settings page you are now connected to the device. However, this connection is based off the DHCP randomly generated IP address. In order to configure a static IP and avoid having to discover the IP address again in the future, we must now tell the SeaSmart device to use a static IP address.
7) Select the NETWORK SETUP link in the left menu, then press NETWORK 2 and press CONFIGURATION. The setting title should now read "Network 2 (wlan0) Configuration."
8) Turn the DHCP Client to OFF
9) Leave the IP address in place (169.254.113.20 in this example, but yours will likely be different). We know this IP is not in use since the device initially assigned it randomly. If there is nothing listed in the IP address field, make sure and enter the same IP discovered in step 5 above.
10) Select SUBMIT:
11) After submitting, you must reboot your SeaSmart device by unplugging the power and plugging back in.
You can now open your Web browser and type in the new static IP address (169.254.113.20 in this example) to access your SeaSmart Device's Configuration Panel. When you see the SeaSmart page again, you are now connected using a static IP and will not have to configure again in the future. You can also select the SEASMART WEB LINK in the left menu to view your engine data. Bookmark this page in your browser to quickly return without typing back in the IP address.
Thank you for choosing Chetco Digital and please visit our Question and Answer Forum if you have additional questions.